The regular meeting of the Mayor and Council of the City of Gooding, Idaho was called to order at 7:00 pm in the Gooding Municipal Building, 308 5th Ave West, Gooding, Idaho on April 2, 2018. Pledge of Allegiance was led by Councilman France.
Present were Mayor Brekke, Councilpersons Arkoosh, France, and Smith. Councilman Cram was not present.
Present were Madeline Platts, Terry Platts, Jim Braga, Roxy Braga, Michelle Spigarelli, Karolyn Gaines, Kevin Storey, John Gough and Klyn Cheney.
Changes to Agenda (Idaho Code 67-2343 Sec 4 (b))
Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to add Karolyn Gaines & Kevin Storey – Emergency Sewer Line Work to Clover Creek Development to the agenda. Motion seconded by Councilman Smith. Motion carried.
(Consent Calendar contains items which require formal Council action, but which are typically routine or not of great controversy. Council members can approve the items listed on the consent calendar as one item or, if finding a correction needs to be made, can pull that item for discussion. There will be no separate discussion on these items unless a Council Member or a member of the audience requests removal of the items from the Consent Calendar.)
Mayor Brekke asked, “Consent Calendar Items numbered are before you, are there any items to be removed?” There being no objection, Councilman France moved to approve the Consent Calendar.
- March 19, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- Accounts Payable in the amount of $872,472.30
- Payroll in the amount of $138,752.62
- March Building Permits
|08-18||3/9/18||South Central District Health||255||N Canyon Dr||Sign||$ 391.00||$ 38.78|
|09-18||3/28/18||Roberto Ramirez||430||Montana||New||$ 23,000.00||$ 490.39|
|$ 23,391.00||$ 529.17|
Motion seconded by Councilman Arkoosh. Motion carried.
Terry Platts – Update on Little Wood River Report: Mr. Platts gave an update to the Council regarding the Army Corps of Engineers final draft on the River Wall Project. Mr. Platts would like the Councils consent to send a letter to Mike Simpson to request help funding the project. Mayor Brekke would like to schedule a work session to review the final draft.
Mr. Platts discussed the flood zone and stated the Army Corp of Engineers is currently working on the flood map. Once they are finished they will send it to FEMA. Mr. Platts stated he was assigned to the task by the last Council and would like to know if he should continue. Councilman France stated he would like Mr. Platts to continue but they will need to schedule a work session to discuss the matters in more detail.
Karolyn Gaines & Kevin Storey – Emergency Sewer Line Work to Clover Creek Development:
Public Comment: Kevin Storey stated they have installed 180 feet of special order sewer pipe for the exposed piping to go along the bridge on 4th Avenue West. The plans called for underground piping after the bridge. After talking to the manufacturer, the above grade pipe will last up to 75-80 years. The pipe has been bedded with sand. PWD Bybee stated he is comfortable leaving the pipe as is and would request the Councils approval for the acceptance of the pipe to remain. Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to accept the sewer line work that is currently completed from the bridge to the manhole on 4th Avenue West. Motion seconded by Councilman Smith. Motion carried.
Gooding Water Project: PWD Bybee stated the contractor is still working in the 4 block alley of 4th and 8th. Pavement repair will begin on the 16th. The contractor will be doing test pumping and sampling on the south well. A pre bid meeting will be held on April 3rd and they will be opening bids on April 10th.
Planning & Zoning Vacancy: Mr. Platts, Planning & Zoning Chairman, stated there are currently 2 vacancies; one opening from the impact area and the other is a regular opening.
John Infanger – Riverside Estates; Installation of 5 Mobile Homes: PWD Bybee is still awaiting engineering plans from Mr. Infanger. The Council agrees that additional information will be needed before making a decision.
Nan Reedy – Property Values/Anti Tethering Ordinance: Mayor Brekke stated additional information is needed before scheduling a work session.
Request for Easement – Jim Braga: Mr. Braga owns property adjacent to the WWTP property on 1775 South. Mr. Braga has been denied an easement by John Infanger and would like the Council to consider granting an easement at the corner of the City property at the WWTP so that he can access his property. Attorney Hobdey requested Mr. Braga obtain the legal description that will be needed for an easement.
Keller Associates Invoice #34 for Water System: Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to approve Keller Associates Invoice #34 for the Water System in the amount of $21,385.30. Motion seconded by Councilman France. Motion carried.
Blue Sky Construction Pay Application #5: Councilman France made a motion to approve Blue Sky Construction Pay Application #5 in the amount of $236,478.75. Motion seconded by Councilman Arkoosh. Motion carried.
Keller Associates Invoice #3 for WWTP: Councilman Smith made a motion to approve Keller Associates Invoice #3 for the WWTP in the amount $5,530.00. Motion seconded by Councilman France. Motion carried.
Authorization for City Clerk Lierman and Treasurer Aquiso to attend the 2018 Spring District Workshop in Burley on April 25, 2018: Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to authorize City Clerk Lierman and Treasurer Aquiso to attend the 2018 Spring District Workshop in Burley on April 25, 2018. Motion seconded by Councilman Smith. Motion carried.
2018 Arbor Day Proclamation: Councilman France made a motion to authorize the Mayor to sign the 2018 Arbor Day Proclamation. Motion seconded by Councilman Arkoosh. Motion carried.
Used Car Lot on 14th Ave W and Main Street: Councilman France stated he feels that since the Inn on the corner of Main Street and 14th Avenue West have moved their car dealership to the same location that it has created a hazard because drivers can’t see cars coming down Main Street when they are stopped on 14th Avenue West. Chief Fisher stated he has been working with Ordinance Officer Kelley to find a resolution to the situation. Chief Fisher will continue to work on the issue.
Approval to use Public Surplus for disposing of salvage property: PWD Bybee has previously used Public Surplus. He stated government entities use Public Surplus to surplus equipment and vehicles. The Council gave PWD Bybee their blessing to move forward using Public Surplus for the City of Gooding.
Gooding Airport Courtesy Car User Agreement: Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to adopt the Gooding Airport Courtesy Car User Agreement. Motion seconded by Councilman France. Motion carried.
Police Chief Dave Fisher: Chief Fisher stated 3 Officers are going to attend training in Meridian this week to become certified instructors to train other officers and teachers. The training is free of charge.
Fire Chief Brandon Covey: Fire Chief Covey was not present.
Library Director Cindy Bigler:
- Library Director Bigler presented the March stats to the Council.
|Maker||Games||Outreach||New Cards||Catalog||Give Away||Hours|
- LD Bigler stated she received a grant and needs to spend the $11,000.00 grant money. She is unable to use purchase orders to purchase the books and doesn’t feel it’s a clean transaction for the City to reimburse the Library Foundation. LD Bigler asked for a temporary increase on her credit card limit. Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to temporarily increase LD Bigler’s library credit card limit from $2,500.00 to $8,000.00. Motion seconded by Councilman Smith. Motion carried.
Public Works Director Larry Bybee:
- PWD Bybee met with the Gooding County Commissioners to discuss the tower interference issue at the Airport for the AWOS.
- Red Baron’s 7460 form has been submitted to the FAA for review of the containment pad.
- Met with GDA Engineers to discuss the runway extension options.
- The seasonal part time employee will start April 16, 2018 in the parks department.
- Crews will be relocating a couple of sprinkler heads and moving barriers to create angle parking on 3rd Avenue East at the East Park.
- The new sanitation truck is running.
- He received a $50,000.00 grant to fund a transportation Master Plan through ITD. They will be developing a road maintenance schedule using 5, 7 and 10 year funding option for setting the budget.
- They will be reassigning vehicle numbers and putting logos on the vehicles.
- PWD Bybee had Sweets camera a sewer line they were having issues with in the alley by M & W Market. After watching the video they determined the sewer line was deteriorated and gone. He will be getting bids to replace the line.
- Governor Otter has nominated Gooding as one of 28 Idaho communities. He stated we should here from the US Department of Treasury by the end of April if we receive national recognition.
Attorney Craig Hobdey: Attorney Hobdey submitted letters and notices of interest to the Council.
City Clerk Hollye Lierman: City Clerk Hollye Lierman submitted letters and notices of interest to the Council.
There being no further business Councilman Arkoosh made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Motion seconded by Councilman Smith. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:48 pm.
/S/ Hollye Lierman /S/ Jeff Brekke
Hollye Lierman – City Clerk Jeff Brekke – Mayor